As a sport pilot, the following checklist is required to fly:
- A valid pilot certificate (aircraft single engine land or water as applicable).
- To comply with the medical requirements of a sport pilot (valid drivers license OK).
- A current flight review (recorded in logbook).
- Fly a sport pilot-eligible aircraft (light-sport aircraft).
- Operate within the privileges and limitations of the sport pilot certificate 61.315.
- Operate within the category/class ratings on your pilot certificate and/or endorsements
- If you have a private, commercial, or ATP certificate, you may take your flight review in any aircraft authorized by your pilot certificate, assuming the CFI is pilot in command.
- Operate as pilot in command of a sport pilot eligible airplane
- Fly solo or with one passenger.
- Share operating expenses only (fuel, oil, airport expenses, and aircraft rental) with another person.
- Fly during the daytime using visual flight rules (VFR). Three statute miles visibility and visual contact with the ground are required.
- Cross-country flying anywhere in the U.S.
- Fly up to 10,000 feet above mean sea level (MSL) or 2000 feet above ground level (AGL) which ever is higher.
- Fly in Class E and G airspace (and B, C, and D airspace with appropriate training and endorsement).
- Fly production (standard airworthiness certificate), special light sport aircraft, and experimental amateur-built aircraft that meet the definition of a light-sport aircraft.
- Rent a special light-sport aircraft (S-LSA).
- Fly aircraft with a Vh (full power level flight) above or below 87 knots which endorsed for.
- You’re prohibited from flying in Class A airspace.
- You’re prohibited from flying in Class B, C, or D airspace until you receive training and a logbook endorsement from an instructor for towered airspace.
- No flights outside the U.S. without prior permission from the foreign aviation authority.
- You may not tow any object.
- No flights while carrying a passenger or property for compensation, hire or furtherance of a business.