Shopping for a Light Sport Aircraft? Wondering about the different Light Sport Aircraft manufacturers and what they have to offer?
First, Congratulations! You may have never dreamed that you’d be able to buy your very own aircraft! Light-sport aircraft (LSA) are the most affordable. So, let’s get started. The better educated you become on the pluses and minuses of all the options can boggle the mind.
If you can decide on all the important choices before you start looking, you will be much more effective in looking at airplanes to choose the best one for you. The options and choices of:
- High wing for better shade and rain or low wing for better visibility and sun?
- Land, Sea, or amphibious?
- Oversized baggage for suitcases and dog, or sized to fit skis or golf clubs?
- Useful load for heavy people or baggage?
- Folding wings for smaller storage or easy transport?
- Digital cockpit or round gages?
- Rotax, Continential or Jabaru engines
- Price Range ($20,000 to $140,000)
If you are buying used you have less options and will have to settle for what the airplane is, but if you are buying new you can really find the best airplane for you.
If you’re keen to build your own aircraft, you will find there are kits available to build. Some of the new kits are as easy as bolt on the wheels and wings. Slow build kits can take years.
There are a surprising number of models available to choose from from. Prices range from about $20,000 for a basic used aircraft to $140,000 for the top of the line new aircraft.
When shopping for a sport plane, the first stop should be the ByDanJohnson.com for reviews and up to date information on all Light Sport Aircraft manufacturers.